Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day in the South!



Hello!  We are all here enjoying the SNOW we got.  Let me tell you what a big deal this is....We haven't had snow since 2010....and then I can count on one hand the times we've had snow since I've lived here (1995-ish).  I grew up with snow every winter, but my poor kids have barely seen it in their lifetimes.  So, we've been out of school for two days....possibly three (we've got 2 maybe 3 inches)....all you up north people are laughing, I'm sure.  We do not have snow "gear"....like nothing....I know some people around here who have warm weather gear, but we just never have bought it.  I had to scrounge up gloves....they were mismatched.  My son actually used dish gloves!  Believe it or not, the dish gloves were the BEST.  He put some cotton stretchy ones (you know the kind...those super cheapo one size fits all gloves) underneath and then put the rubber gloves on top.  He was the only one with dry hands!  I'm totally doing that next time! My second son was the only one with real snow gloves, and he wimped out after a little while.  My poor daughters only had the thin  cheapo gloves that I mentioned above, so we had the dryer going and I would rotate.  They would each have two pair, and while they were wearing one pair, the other was drying, so they would have hot dry gloves every 20 minutes or so.  It was crazy.  I made everybody put on three pairs of pants, three shirts, a sweatshirt and then a coat on top....and then a hat and a hood.  Everybody wore the next kid up's boots (since they had on so many socks).  My oldest son wore my boots.

(notice how my little cutie just HAD to put on her neon yellow basketball shorts over her snow gear...haha, she is the biggest character ever)



  This is just a picture of how us poor southerners survive the snow! The kids had a ball, though.  Everybody was super bummed out that we couldn't build a snowman. (we just recently watched "Frozen" and my littlest has been singing that "do you wanna build a snowman" song every day....she was super bummed)  The snow was so powdery that we could hardly make a snowball, let alone a snowman.  It was the consistency of corn starch.  They made some rad snow angels though.....My littlest was SO CUTE making a snow angel.  I went racing for my phone to take a picture, and I missed it....then she was crying because she got snow down her shirt and then we pretty much went inside.  I really want to go sledding later.  Maybe after my husband gets home.  He has to work all day...so he missed out on all of the fun. Speaking of sledding....It's cookie sheets and storage container lids all the way.  I don't even think they sell sleds around here.  You'd have to order it online.  ha!  We came inside and wow!  What a crazy mess of stuff they took off!  I've suddenly got two more loads of laundry.


 Now we are enjoying hot cocoa and snuggling up on the couch watching a movie.

Life is good today

I have a little bit more to do on my chair, and then I'll be sharing that with you guys this evening.  Adding all of the nailhead trim has caused the paint job around it to get all kinds of scratches and dings in it.  I tried my best, but I'm going to have to repaint that part.  I always think these projects are going to be so quick and easy until I get halfway done with one and realize how time consuming it is.  sigh....I never learn.

until later!

xoxo
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment